Have you ever run out of gas while driving?
that moment when the world seems cold!
that moment when the damage has already been done!
that moment when you loose your hope!
that moment when everything goes wrong!
that moment when you cough all night!
that moment when just a few people stand by!
that moment when you stand against all odds!
that moment when the wind turns by!
that moment which shows its confidence in you!
that moment which makes you feel blessed!
that moment which has the power to unleash the unknown!
that moment when even the leaves turn the way you want!
that moment when you know that you can!
that moment when you could control the change in your life!
Rest in peace and pieces, Nokia
In my blog post dated Feb 12, 2011 (here), I explicitly mentioned that “Nokia is just like a hardware store for MS now” and I think that I was quite right about it.
Though, before I talk more about it, few days ago #Feb11, on Feb 2nd, I wrote a post (here), where I was just wondering what are the five elements that could put nokia far above its close competetors, esp apple and android (google)?
Just about 9 days after that, Nokia was “Elopucated” and this guy, killed #MeeGo and #Symbian. Honestly, I always felt that the way the #Feb11 announcements were made was wrong (read more: here). Both, #Symbian and #MeeGo did not deserve being killed. Moreover, #Symbian could still serve as the money maker for a couple of more years for Nokia and #MeeGo was still a #future disruption.
Nokia was never on a f***ing burning platform and not in such a bad situation as Mr. Stephen Elop thought.
I firmly believe that he joined Nokia with a specific strategy and as of today, he has been successful in that. Given his career history, I always believed that he is a MOLE.[writing more to this post, need a sleep first] [More, Sep 15, 2013]
I have read somewhere that Elop wanted to sell Nokia even before #Feb11 for a price around $21bn. I do not know how true this “fact” is, but one thing is for sure that he always wanted to sell Nokia, to the employer he has always been loyal to. I personally think that there is lot of money laundering involved in it.
“It wasn’t until the time when they pulled in the Trojan Horse the Greeks left which led to the destruction of the mighty city of Troy and it wasn’t until the time when Stephen Elop was pulled into the Nokia Leadership Team, which led to the ultimate loss of Nokia own self identity. ”
Once the biggest mobile phone player of the world, Nokia always wanted to win the US smartphone market (which it never was able to do, despite of all the efforts made). Probably, this was the only reason which might have propelled the recruitment of a Canadian as the CEO or lets say, a NON-FINN CEO at Nokia. In this pursuit of gaining US market share, which was so far, pre-dominated by Apple, Nokia always forgot what it had in share was the rest of the world, a perfectly growing set of economies that could have served as a perfect breeding ground for the future innovations Nokia had planned to bring into.
The “dream” of beating iPhone in US (and also other markets) was a major factor in collapse of Nokia. The situation was never so bad as portrayed by Mr. Elop. We were not on a burning platform. We could have waited a little more to realize this dream. Nokia N9 was one step already in that direction. Another bold step that Nokia already took was the acquisition of Trolltech. With a dream of “Qt Everywhere”, the moment #Qt was scaled to both the mobile platforms owned by Nokia (#Meego, #Symbian), it was the time to give this dream a fair chance.
But we never did. Or actually, Elop never did. His burning platform memo and decision to kill meego, symbian killed the sales for Nokia and from 32.8 percent of market share, we dropped down to 3 percent. Who has to be blamed for that?
Today, look at Qt, it is available for Android, iOS.
Down the lane, I wouldn’t be surprised if there is a WikiLeak cable that says that this Nokia’s downfall was well architectured by some of the biggest players in the market and successfully executed by Mr. Stephen Elop.
Yes, I still miss Tampere.
Reasons? Here they go..
- Tampere is so calm and serene
- The heating systems are so effective in Finland and so not effective in Berlin
- People are more welcoming in Tampere
- To me, Tampere is more like home
- I believe that my comfort zone lies in Finland, esp Tampere
I know, this is almost a repeated post.. But I really mean it
So, as blogged earlier, I am now in Berlin! Mainly because of my job (and some other agenda, which would be revealed via this blog when time comes)
After having lived for 3 wonderful years in Tampere, my first thoughts about this place are pretty mixed. In first look, I did not like this place at all.
What I did not like explicitly:
- This city is too crowded.
- I have met a couple of grumpy people already (thankfully, none of them were Germans).
- The public transport line stations, especially those for S-Bahn and U-Bahn are sometimes very dirty.
- The crime rate is high. I have been advised by lot of friends and colleagues not to rome around in night in empty bus / train / tram etc.. 
- There is a lot of fight in finding an apartment. 
- There is a hell lot of bureaucracy! 
- Health insurance is damn expensive!
- Who said that renting apartments in Berlin is very cheap?
- Relatively well connected public transport
- Good colleagues at work
- More and more Indian restaurants
- Lot of “happening” things around
- It is famous that a german moves with his kitchen. I knew this but never realized that I will not get any houses with a “fitted kitchen”. Mostly, an empty room, which I have to furnish myself. Damn! Thats gonna be an expensive affair.
- Cold rent + warm rent..
- Houses are not so maintained (as they are in Finland)
- A Viatnamese guy was beaten to death one late night, last year by some people at Potsdamer Platz.
- Just in order to apply for an apartment, I have signed and provided my relocation agent with lots and lots of documents. Counting the number of those pages, I could have easily written a master’s thesis in Finland.
- I received my social security number after 5 weeks of stay in Berlin. In Finland, you get it almost instantly! You need something called a Schuffa credit report to apply for an apartment. Its ridiculous that I am new in Germany, still I have to have a German credit report. And yes, they do not accept Finnish credit report.
Of course, most of my comparisons are w.r.t. Tampere (and sometimes Helsinki).
Yesterday was my father’s birthday.
I also put my hands into something I really like.. its a new thing and a new beginning. I would like to take this “new thing” forward in my life and would work hard for it. Yes, there would be tough times ahead, but I am game for it.
Would come up with more details soon.
Today, we Indians celebrate our 65th Independence Day!
I am a very proud Indian but today, not sure what to be proud of!
- The corruption
- A mute prime-minister, a mocked ex-president or an italian lady?
- Female foeticides
- Dowry deaths
- Political parties who only leg-pull each other, none of them really thinking of public welfare
- A media that is good for nothing
- Ailing Assam
- Female molestation and no one to hear for
Or should I be proud of those few olympic medals? Probably, I might just be proud of those few Olympic medals. Stupid me! In order to change our nation, we should bring change in ourselves. I have started thinking and behaving in a “nation-positive-way” from today.
I always wanted to setup a microblog for my website and just get rid of twitter for every update I do.. The idea is that friends and family are aware of my micro-blog and follow me there. I can post things to twitter only when I really want to..
I personally liked status.net for everything but could not configure it for my mobile client on MeeGo. I received a strange error always that the website is down. When tried using the web interface on mobile, all posts were published as private posts which was not what I wanted.
I also gave a try to sharetronix. But it is just too complex.
For now, I find myself content with a chinese blog called PageCookery. Works ok on mobile browser and has basic things available. What I also like about them is their categorization of posts.. something like: I like, I want etc..
If you want to know some ways, how to turn a perfect happy life into a night mare.. give me a tweet @aseemshakuntal
Perspective is a way of looking at things from a specific angle. Every person in this world has his/her own persona and perspective of looking at things. While one person might look a glass as half empty, the other might look it as half full and yet, someone might look at it as “full”, filled with half of water and half of air! It is all the perspective.
Our perspectives play a major part in influencing our day-to-day life.
Sometimes, it happens so that some even in life makes your approach towards life, change a bit. After having spent 5 wonderful years as a software engineer, my perspective towards my master’s degree program has changed a lot. Sometimes, when I am attending the class, I think, why are people so inquisitive? Or wouldn’t the teacher just give away the slides and end up the class? Things change. After all, change is the only permanent thing in this world!